Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Controlling Cattails

The cattail has a rhizome that is filled with carbohydrates. This is why you
can wack the top off and it has the power to grow back because it has a lot
of stored energy. You can either flood the cattail (raise the water 2+ feet,
this effects it's ability to draw O2 to the roots) or continuously cut them
down so that there are no leaves from sunlight to recharge the rhizome.
After a while they will die because they will run out of juice. Cattails
need full sun to grow. If it's possible plant a willow above them.

If you want to see something amazing go and purchase a 10 gallon aquarium
from the pet store. Dump in 2 inches of dirt and plant a small cattail. You
will be amazed how much of a huge root mass these things get and how many
pop up.

"Tony Brennan" wrote in message
Grateful for any help on the problem of control cattails. I have a heap of
them round the edge of my pond (natural) but I'm worried about them taking
over. They seem to be spreading toward the middle.
Tony