Old 04-06-2003, 09:20 PM

Default garden police gone wild?

different towns, different rules. In moms "city" they had a public hearing about
changing the burning rules. For as long as we been there burning was allowed
tuesday, thursday and saturday weather permitting. Many of the older residents like
my mother have a lot of dead wood on their large 2+ acre lots. same with garden
refuse that is buggy. But some of the new people moving into the McMansions on 1/4
acre lots wanted to ban burning cause anybody burning leaves on their property is
going to have the smoke end up in somebodys house. Well those that went to the
hearing overwhelmingly were against any further ban on burning. The council passed
the burning ban ANYWAY and it took the concerted efforts of some very irate citizens
putting a lot of time and energy into a referendum recalling the damn ban. Which,
when it went to vote was overwhelmingly defeated. Sadly, none of the other
restrictive laws are required to be on referendums and since almost nobody knows
about them until they run afoul of the law, nobody cares. Just the control freaks
(or those with other agendas) with money and time to get elected sit around making up
more and more rules to satisfy themselves and limit everyone elses freedom.
Like I said. Each city should be allowed 100 laws, no more. want a new one, get rid
of one. And have mediation boards to handle disputes. Ingrid

Ann wrote:
One year some newbies to town decided that they didn't like people
bringing their work trucks home, they tried to impose a 9,000 lb
limit on vehicles that could be put in a driveway. That was voted
down soundly at town meeting,

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com