Old 04-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Mary McHugh

Default HELP--Late start on garden!

Rachel wrote:

"JohnDKestell" wrote in message

yard (it was steaming when I cut into it--a little too hot from bacteria?

If you really put in a pile of not yet rotted manure, it's possible that a
good number of your plants will die from nitrogen overdose.

I'm not so sure about that. Yes, manure has a bit of nitrogen in it but not as
much as you might think. OG did an article a few years ago comparing the amt.
of nitrogen in the different types of manure but with my CRAFT memory, I don't
recall the exact numbers.

Here we have often put fresh horse manure in the garden with no ill effects.

Mary