Old 04-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Vox Humana

Default wilflowers propogating onto lawn

"Steve Johnston" wrote in message
om...
hi:

I am thinking of setting up a wildflower garden in my backyard using black
eyed susan and purple coneflower. I plan on starting small and maybe work
may way up to 1/4 or 1/2 of an acre. My concern is that they will end up
propogating onto my neighbors lawn or onto parts of my backyard that i

want
to stay as a lawn. Will i have trouble stoping these aggressive

wildflowers
from propogating or will mowing be enough to control them?

I don't have problems with either of these plants invading my lawn. They do
seed themselves into distant planting beds. One thing you could do would be
to apply a pre emergent herbicide in the spring and fall. That should
prevent them from germinating in the lawn. I doubt that it would be a
problem with the neighbor's lawn if his grass is in good shape. A healthy
lawn crowds out weeds.