Old 04-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default Kill Ants Organically?

in article , Pat Meadows at
wrote on 6/4/03 5:14 AM:

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 05:27:49 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

I protest the perversion of the (American) English language to accommodate
people who don't now what they are talking about. There is incredible
inconsistency between what is organic (by almost any definition) and
"organic" food production. I would sure appreciate a definition of organic
as used by the "organic food industry." I don't think that there is one.

There is now, as far as the USA is concerned. There has
been since October of 2002.

The definition of 'organic' is now set by the USDA.

Producers who sell more than $5000 per year must go through
a certification process in order to call their food
'organic' or 'organically grown' in the USA. Producers who
sell less than $5000 per year need not go through the
certification process, but must still comply with the
standards in order to call their food 'organic'.

Details are available at:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/features/Org...nicfarming.htm

As far as the USA is concerned, debating other meanings of
the word is as useless as debating how many angels can dance
on the head of a pin.

Restricting your own use of the word to its meaning as used
in chemistry is - of course - your privilege, but it's not
going to have any effect whatsoever on anyone else (except
perhaps your family members and friends). It will hinder
your attempts at communication with others, especially in
the context of gardening. In other words, I think it's
silly.

There are words which have acquired meanings that I don't
particularly like either, but my purpose in reading,
writing, or speaking is communication with others, so I
recognize reality and adapt to it.

Pat

I think that the organo-nuts are doing the country a disservice. I know of
no reason to expect "organic" food to be safer than other kinds. Good
practices and bad practices are to be found in both camps. What I want is
*wholsome* food.

Just for me to get a bearing answer the question: Is hydroponically grown
food organic? What is the reason(s)?

Bill