Old 05-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Pat Meadows

Default HELP--Late start on garden!

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:43:03 -0400, "Rachel"
wrote:

Two years ago somebody gave me a (small) truckload, advertised as rotted,
but it wasn't. Lettuce, spinach, basil refused to grow, leaves turned
yellow - symptoms of nitrogen burn. The next year, the same plants were
fine, with no other significant changes. So, I said "it's possible that"...
because it happened to me.

I'm using spent-mushroom soil which is partially rotted, and
I have some qualms about it this year. Last year, I used
it and it was black and crumbly and odorless. This year,
it's not as aged as last year's, and is dark brown, not as
crumbly, and has a very slight odor.

So far, so good. Everything's growing very nicely
(especially considering that we've had nothing but rain for
a month - no sun). So I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

The lettuce is gorgeous - particularly splendid (it likes
the wet cool weather). I never saw such beautiful lettuce
before, anywhere. The same is true of the Asian greens -
just beautiful. They like the damp coolness too.

Pat