Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Cass

Default Question about pruning roses

In article 71b7afb3d5c2f679f33543e348d8a2c3@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

Yeah, some northern roser used to wax poetic about Moonlight in the
night garden. Smells good. How the hell did he keep it alive, you
wonder. HM's aren't terribly hardy, Regina tells me.

She lied.

I'll assume you're using up your poetic license on that assessment. I'm
sure she didn't lie and was speaking from her experience in the quirky
eastern Sierra. Many winters are mild. Then it can go down to -15 F for
a week in December with daytime temps no higher than 15 F. It is mild
in the late winter, when the cherries bloom, and invariably snows the
week of April 24. The last freeze date is late in May. It has extremely
low annual rainfall and very drying winds. Add it all up and her
experience could be very different than the same zone in the midwest. I
have little doubt that New Mexico is more like Nevada than Iowa.

I've seen them grown all over Iowa in Zone 4.
I grow several myself. Buff Beauty, Cornelia, Prosperity
Darlow's Enigma, Baby's blanket, Belinda.
No kill at all.

I've heard Darlow's Enigma is very hardy.

All came through just fine on their own roots.

That's another variable.

I have a friend in Nebraska who grows BB
own root It dies to the ground every year
then comes back to a 4' bush by fall.

All valuable information, just like the information that there are
places in New York that are nominally Zone 7 where lots of things die
during the winter, where winter protection is problematic because of
high humidity and rainfaill, freeze thaw cycles and thin, rocky soils.
I'm not sure I would characterize reporting these differences as lies.