Old 05-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Bonsai disease FAQ

Hi, Nina.

Thanks for the FAQ. I've already forwarded it to our newsletter editor.

However, you raise a question with this excerpt.

Q: My indoor bonsai has twigs that are dying back, and the leaves are

sticky.

A: The tree may have aphids, mealy bugs or scale insects, all of
which suck sap and secrete a sticky honeydew. Look carefully for
insects. Mealy bugs are woolly and scale insects look like shiny
bumps. Both will scrape off easily, and "bleed" when poked. Aphids
can be washed off with a hard stream of water. Adult mealy bugs and
scales are resistant to insecticides but can be removed by hand; an
insecticide labeled for indoor control of these insects can be used
to kill the immature "crawler" stage.

I had thought that the insecticidal soap sprays worked by suffocating the
adults and poisoning juveniles (but leaving eggs unharmed). Is this
incorrect? Or does this statement reflect the odds against getting total
coverage with the spray?

Thanks.

Bart

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++