Old 05-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Angela Dougherty

Default Flowers I can eat???

In article ,
(COcon28932) wrote:

This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay away
from!

Well for starters, any flower from a culinary herb is edible. Chive
blossoms especially are tasty and beautiful in a salad. Just break the
individual florets from the stem. Nasturtiums, violets (including
pansies), roses, scented geraniums (pelargonium), calendula and lavender
are also edible. In general, if the rest of the plant is edible, the
flowers will be too. The main thing to concern yourself with is that
any flower you plan on eating (or serving unsuspecting guests) should be
completely free of any kind of spray or pesticide.

Check your local library or bookstore for cookbooks featuring herbs
and/or edible flowers. Enjoy!

Angela