Old 03-03-2003, 02:29 AM
Fred Elbel

Default Elect LaFollette, Schneider, Watson to Sierra Club Board

Sierra Club members:

I would like to draw your attention to the current Sierra Club
election.

There are three excellent candidates in the current election: Doug
LaFollette, Dick Schneider and Paul Watson. You can see more
information about the candidates at www.susps.org/candidates .

** Doug LaFollette **

Doug is current Wisconsin Secretary of State and has decades of
political experience with environmental issues. He has the political
savvy and experience to fight the big money timber, mining and energy
interests. He supports restoring Glen Canyon, zero cut in our national
forests, and no drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. He
will defend bedrock environmental laws against fatal weakening by the
current administration and its allies in Congress.

"Bush and most politicians don't get it. They don't comprehend the
essential role our natural environment plays in supporting human well
being."

** Dick Schneider **

Dick has been Conservation Chair of the San Francisco Bay and has held
numerous leadership positions in the Club. He led the 2000 Alameda
County Save Open Space initiative which established a countrywide
urban growth boundary with strict limits on development. His 1978
report "Managing Nuclear Wastes" helped persuade California's Energy
Commission to ban additional nuclear power plants. As long-time
Population Chair, he understands the crucial importance of reducing
population growth to protect natural resources for future generations.

"If elected, I will bring passion, vision, and effective leadership to
the Sierra Club Board."

** Paul Watson **

Paul is widely recognized as one of the world's foremost protectors of
marine mammals. He founded Sea Shepherd Conservation and co-founded
Greenpeace. He brings determination to address the critical issues of
overpopulation, biodiversity loss, and habitat destruction. He will
work to preserve coastal ecosystems, wetlands, and other threatened
landscapes from development.

"I was honored to be named with David Brower, Ansel Adams and John
Muir as one of Time magazine's Environmental Heroes of the 20th
Century."

The above candidates are endorsed by the following Sierra Club
award-winners:

"Doug, Dick and Paul will help the Sierra Club address overpopulation
and a host of other critical environmental issues."

- Sen. Gaylord Nelson - John Muir Award, 2001; Founder, Earth Day;
Presidential Medal of Freedom

"Protecting endangered species will be a top priority for these three
conservationists on the Sierra Club Board."

- Brock Evans - John Muir Award, 1981; Executive Director, Endangered
Species Coalition; former Club Director

"These fine candidates will aggressively protect our vanishing natural
heritage."

- Martin Litton - John Muir Award, 1993; Founder, Sequoia Alliance;
former Club Director

"These environmentalists share my concern about loss of the planet's
biodiversity."
- Norman Myers - Special Achievement in International Environmental
Protection, 1987; winner Blue Planet Prize, 2001

More candidate information, pictures and statements are at
www.susps.org/candidates .