Old 05-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Jason Quick

Default Kill Ants Organically?

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message
Pat Meadows wrote:

I think it either could be or could not be, it would depend
upon what it was fed with. Ugh. What a terrible
sentence....[takes a deep breath and tries again].

I think it could be organic, if organic plant food was used.
It could be not organic, if commercial plant food was used.

That is my point. I use CHEMICALS! They are derived from MINERALS! Nothing
in them has recently been processed by living things.

Perhaps it's instructive to examine a sample substance - vinegar. I'm not a
chemist or food scientist, but it would seem to me that vinegar is vinegar
is vinegar - acetic acid, usually diluted with water to 5% acidity.
Chemically identical, no? But if you're farming using USDA organic
standards and want to use vinegar to kill some weeds, you can't use
synthetically produced vinegar, but only that produced by natural
fermentation processes. It doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of
other instances where the regs *do* make sense, though.

Jason