Old 05-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Barrie Mather

Default OT ... Burning Wood - Open Fireplace

wrote:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open fireplaces?

Hi

The main adverse criticsm is that an open fire place is a very
inefficient way of heating a room

At one time we had an open fireplace and we had to put an electric heat
source at the back of the room to keep our backs warm. We decided to
instal a stove, and chose a Jotul 118, which is just a cast iron box
about fifteen inches by a yard. We thought we should miss the sight of
the flames and agonised for nearly two years about whether to put it
where the open fireplace was or some place else. We eventually put it
somewhere else and put the sofa across the old fireplace, and never
moved it until 20 years later when we rebuilt the house. Didn't mis the
sight of the fire at all. I believe, Unfortunately I believe the 118
has gone out of production.
Barrie