Old 05-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Don Staples

Default question on clinometers

It must be a matter of age, I use a Haga.

"Geoff Kegerreis" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice, guys. I ordered a Brunton this time and we'll see

how it
goes.
As far as the relaskop goes, I agree with Joe Schmoe that it is

prohibitively
expensive and too damned bulky. A cool tool, but not worth the $1300

you'd
purchase one for new now as far as I'm concerned. The tallest tree in my

main
service area is probably less than 150', and there are no requirements of

any
agency or landowner that I am aware of that enforce the use of relaskops

similar

to what the USFS does out there in region 1 and whatever the PNW region

number
is - so I'll stick to using prisms (10 and 20 factor are all I need here),

tape, and a
clinometer for the heights and other reasonably-priced tools that pay for
themselves
over and over again.

Joe Z - In most cases I don't use a clinometer much either (a 3-log tree

is the
premium
here), but I think site index is a relatively valid concept to measure

tree
growth
productivity, and since I promised to include that on the plan I will be

writing
for my clients,
I have to have some valid way to measure the tree heights other than

bringing
Bob Leverett
along.
The other clinometer is for my vest that I use for big marking jobs and

that
vest scares
little children it's so painted up and faded. My thought is spend another

$300
bucks and
get a vest that I can actually wear when I meet customers for the first

time to
make at least
a decent impression. It's a cheaper alternative to buying one of those

pretty
fancy new
dodges that the rich mills buy for the woodchucks...hopefully this year I

can
afford to buy one
of their old used beat-up trucks that is slightly nicer than my current

one, but
we'll see!

:-)

GK

Joe Zorzin wrote:

I use a clinometer for about 1 minute each year- at the beginning of

timber
marking season- I use it to see if I can still eyeball log heights. I

always
find that I still can. I wonder what I could get for this ancient tool

on
Ebay- might as well get rid of it. G
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

"Geoff Kegerreis" wrote in message
Foresters:

I am looking to purchase a clinometer for another cruising
vest I'm putting together. I see that there is a $13
difference between the brunton and the suunto. I have a
Suunto now, but not a brunton. Anyone have any
experience with the Brunton one - Is it any worse for wear
than the Suunto is? Is the sighting aperature good
in it? Any advice is welcomed from those who have
experience with the brunton clinometer.

Thanks,
Geoff Kegerreis