Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
jane

Default snakes head fritilaria: germination

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:23:24 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

~jane wrote:
~
~ On 2 Jun 2003 08:42:38 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
~
~ ~
~ ~In article ,
~ writes:
~ ~|
~ ~| Last year some one was kind enough to put me right on how to germinate
~ ~| some cyclamans from seed.
~ ~|
~ ~| This year I would like to have a go with some Snakes heads that have
~ ~| set seed.
~ ~|
~ ~| I have done a google but most of the hits were just wanting to sell me
~ ~| the plants / seeds.
~ ~|
~ ~| If anyone could recommend the correct treatment I would be grateful.
~ ~
~ ~Shake some onto the ground and ignore them - that is what I do,
~ ~and they have semi-naturalised.
~ ~
~ ~As far as growing in pots, I don't know, but I would sow some in
~ ~the summer and leave the pots out over winter, and would save
~ ~some indoors for spring sowing. ONE of the three methods should
~ ~work!
~
~ I tried this a couple or so years ago. Just scattered the seeds on the
~ surface of some compost and left the tray in a corner. When I
~ remembered it was there, I had a tray of what looked like grass (oh
~ and liverworts :-I which I 'weeded'). The bigger cormlets are now
~ about a cm across and the leaves are perceptively thicker. I guess in
~ a year or two I may well get flowering sized corms.
~
~ I may do some more this year as there are a lot of seed pods on my
~ mature plants.
~
~Yes seed on these seems to be exceptionally good this year, or at least
~it is here.
~
~I also have crocus seed and a load of cyclamen seed which I keep meaning
~to do things with!-)

ah... cyclamen... I have the small C. persicum growing away inside. I
collected seed this time last year from a pink-flowered plant I've had
for several years and now I have 21 more... a few of which are
astonishingly about to flower. Already. Am waiting to see if they all
come out the same colour which they may not as the leaves vary! Then
there will be the great cyclamen giveaway :-)

C coum seem to love it in a large terracotta bowl - they're now
sprouting everywhere. I just leave them to their own devices, making
sure moss doesn't get a look in.

--
jane

Mark Twain