Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Jo Ling

Default OT....bird id required!

Ophelia wrote in message

"Jo Ling" wrote in message

Oh dear, you really don't know much about birds, do you? Wrens are

smaller
than sparrows (DON'T ask what a sparrow looks like - even though the

RSPB
is
worried that they are in decline!) Wrens are also female SAILORS

(Women's
Royal Navy Service) not soldiers.

Jo we had a pair of tree sparrows, a pair of goldfinches and a pair of
collared doves investigating the tree near our window. A pair of

blackbirds
won the bid. The goldfinch cock was fighting himself in his reflection in
our window. It was quite sad. He came back 3 times during the day to

see
if the 'intruder' had gone and put up a spirited fight with himself..

They
didn't return The doves were quite interested but he was eyeing his
reflection up. The blackbirds don't seem too worried although their nest
is higher than our window and further back near the wall. They pay their
rent everyday with the beautiful singing. I draw a veil over the splodges
on the window. It is a wee price worth paying.

"wee" being the operative word! Ho ho ho! Here in this corner of Sussex we
get blue tits, starlings, woodpigeons, magpies and blackbirds in our garden.
Also the occasional green woodpecker and jay. I do put nuts out for the
birds, but the squirrels are always first in the queue! We can hear cuckoos
but never seem to see them. At dusk we get the occasional bat flittering
around our oak tree, and at night we hear the odd owl ... and unfortunately
rather a lot of Boeings and Airbuses, but at least they never come into the
garden...

Jo