Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Spinach spikes

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
If you can succeed in a dryish year on sandy soil in the east, please
tell us how!

Sow the seed singly in 3.5in. polypots in mid to late May - keep the
seedlings growing on without any checks. Plant them out with as little
root disturbance as possible. Don't allow the leaves to become over
large before picking them. If you don't succeed with true spinach, try
leafbeet/perpetual spinach instead. We can have spinach, leafbeet and
curly kale available for fresh picking all year, but we don't need all
three nowadays, so we dispense with the spinach.

We don't have sandy soil here, we are on maritime clay over limestone.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

My leafbeet/perpetual spinach is bolting (general neglect and abuse) - if I
remove flower stalks etc. will it soldier on?
i.e. is it different from 'normal' spinach and keeps growing after
flowering?