Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default snakes head fritilaria: germination

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:51:23 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Ward wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article ,
writes

Last year some one was kind enough to put me right on how to germinate
some cyclamans from seed.

This year I would like to have a go with some Snakes heads that have
set seed.

Collect the seed, sow them, keep moist, keep outside but not waterlogged
over winter, and they will come up like grass next spring.

Grow them in pots for a couple of years before finally planting out.

Ok I'm ready to plant out. The three year old plants flowered this year (in
compost contrary to earlier advice, so I was probably lucky). The leaves have
now died back, so when should I plant out? I am on heavy clay so should I pout
some gravel under them?

Put them straight into the soil they have to grow in, no
amendments. Water well *once* after planting to settle them in,
and if you have dry spells, give occasional light sprinkles to
prevent total desiccation until active growth starts in late
summer.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada