Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Max Wright

Default Eggs on spinach leaves - ID

In message , Alan
writes
I've noticed clusters of eggs on the underside of my spinach leaves
(outdoors in growbags). The eggs are white, elongated cigar-shaped and
clustered together, about 5 per cluster, small but clearly visible. Does
anyone know what they are and what I should do to get rid of them? I'm not
averse to using chemicals, although obviously I'd prefer not to.

I also noticed markings on the leaves like leaf miner. Could that be the
problem? I don't know what leaf miners look like.

You're right - the eggs will hatch into leaf miners - small maggots
which eat their way round inside the leaves. I would just rub the eggs
off, and tear off the bits of leaves that have already been mined.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop