Old 03-03-2003, 07:04 AM
gregpresley

Default Sprouting Dried Lima Beans (for garden)

Fran, I guess I'm confused. Surely the cyanide compounds would only be a
problem if she was sprouting beans for the sprouts themselves?.....I would
think that any plant that matured and produced beans would have the normal
ratio of poisonous compounds, but maybe I'm not correct in this
assumption?....
"Fran Higham" wrote in can contain cyanogenic
glucocides which is a poison. This can be
ameliorated by the common practice of repeated adding and discarding water
during cooking.

Now the offspring may just be a good bean and cause no problems but if the
F1 turns out to have a lot of the poisons then that is obviously not a
desirable outcome for you.

I would advise that you find a source of open pollinated beans and stick

them or ask/search/do a googe hunt for the American Seed Saver group.