Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Martin Brown

Default Solar lighting

In message ,
writes
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 21:28:33 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 17:03:38 GMT,
wrote:

I have been looking for solar lights to attach to the side of the
garage in our garden ...

I hope you aren't expecting these things to a) produce more than a
glimmer of light b) last all night in the winter.

--
Cheers

Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Yes I was Dave. There are some in the local Morrisons supermarket . On
the box it advises to "charge" it up by sunlight for 8 hours or so.
They are like a lantern but with a spike. Maybe I won't bother if
they are as disapponting as you infer. Diana

For the sort of solar lamps sold in supermarkets he was being
optimistic.

Given enough solar panel area you can do it, but it isn't remotely cost
effective if mains power is available. Most are way under powered to
cope with anything like UK weather. They might (just might) work all
night in midsummer provided the daytime is fairly sunny. But cheap ones
will murder their batteries all too quickly. Amusing novelty...

--
Martin Brown