Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Rod

Default Interweaving Shrubs....?

"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
I don't expect to get an answer on this one, but........
I have a wall to cover, south facing, about 4-5 feet high,
and about 22 feet long. I may raise the height to 6 feet
with some trellis. I wish to cloak it in evergreen
stuff. I have bought a "Mermaid" rose, and a Ceanothus,
"Autumnal Blue".

The rose is a vigorous climber, and could get to
20 x 30 feet if left unchecked, and has semi-evergreen
leaves. The Ceanothus is evergreen, and can reach 10 x
10 feet. I would wall train it.

I would be tempted to plant them a few feet apart to give yourself the option of moving one or the other if what you're
trying to do doesn't work long term. Be warned this isn't a nice smooth skinned Mermaid - she has wicked hooked spines
so you should take that into consideration when planning how to manage this. Mermaid does get big but it takes a while
to get going.
Having said all that I personally wouldn't have started from here. I would prefer Mermaid on a big house wall and use
that low south facing wall to grow a range of more compact shrubs/climbers instead of just the two - you could get away
with some 'not quite' hardy things in that situation. Common Myrtle would be a nice one to include.

Rod