Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Jerry

Default Why the fear of GM Crops?

Torsten Brinch wrote in message . ..
On 2 Jun 2003 09:06:32 -0700, (Jerry) wrote:

snip, snip, snip.

Thought so. Yes you have. God help you if you can't come up with
something better for an argument than 'stories Marcus link'. My
argument still stands: In reality, the European Union has approved
several genetically modified crops, and is having no particular safety
concerns in regards to that. In contrast to this, you appear to be
have come to the opposite impression. Because of something you heard
and read. QED, you have been misinformed.

If you don't base your conclusions on things you hear and read, what
do you base them on? I've seen a preponderance of information coming
out of Europe that they are scared of American gm crops for safety
reasons. Granted, alot of that information has come from left wing
enviromental whackos. But the EU certainly hasn't done much to give
any different impression.

And if they aren't shutting out American grain due to saftey concerns,
what is the real reason? That is what I want to hear them say. I
just want to hear the truth.

snip again.

I take that to mean that the EU wants complete government control
exercised over U.S. producers in the same manner that European
producers and controlled. But my perception is a bit biased. After
all, I am one of those free Americans.

Probably you just don't appreciate how important it is to the European
Union, that goods and produce can be traded freely across internal
borders within the EU, unimpeded by national legislation imposed
by individual Member States.

How could I not recognize the importance of free trade across internal
borders? Remember, I'm an American. Free trade across member states'
borders has been the rule here for about 225 years. Yes, we have some
restrictions and local regulations that have cross border impacts.
But consider this example. Some dairymen in Colorado sell their milk
to an ice cream plant in Iowa. The ice cream end up on shelves in
California grocery stores. If we didn't have free trade across our
internal borders, that wouldn't be happening.