Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM

Default Why the fear of GM Crops?

Jerry wrote:

wrote in message . ..
What are the SPECIFIC fears of the European Union in regard to genetically modified
crops?

Here are some of the issues:

http://www.gmfoodnews.com/gmwrong.html

Hope this helps.

regards
Marcus

I appreciate your posting the link, Marcus. But the articles I looked
at just seem to contain more generalities on fears and potentials.
Many articles mention: undesirable species possibly developing
restistance; desirable non-target species being killed; cross
pollination; farmers not being allowed to save seed.

Since I leared to read my dad's farm magazines 37 years ago, I've been
reading about the same types of problems with conventional seeds and
chemicals. We killed the earthworms with Dursban. Our hybrid field
corn pollen messed up the neighbor's sweet corn patch. Cockleburrs
got to the point that they just thrived in atrazine treated fields.

So you dismiss the current and predictable problems?
This might have been a little problem in a world with millions
of little farmers. Now the world is turning into one mega farmer
that uses the seed of one mega seed company and the pesticides
of one mega biochemical company all using the same technological
base. If one little problem appears it will be amplified worldwide.
The problem of malesterility genes that made worldwide corn susceptible
to Southern corn leaf blight will seem tame in comparison.

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache...fescience.com/
pleiotro.html+male+sterility+corn+susceptibility+& hl=en&ie=UTF-8
(if necesary cut and paste URL in one line)