Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Jerry

Default Why the fear of GM Crops?

wrote in message ...
Oz wrote:

Jerry writes

I hear and read that the European Union has safety concerns about
growing genetically modified crops and the food produced from them.
But I never hear details. So here is the question. What are the
SPECIFIC fears of the European Union in regard to genetically modified
crops?

1) A paranoid population. (really)

a population that got bitten by the mad cow and the blood supply
tainted with aids while the "scientist" assure the paranoid population
that it was all in their minds.

Neither was created by genetic engineering, but both might by cured by
it.

2) A useful trade blocking mechanism.

Patents on life and artificially low government guaranteed farm loans
are also useful US trade mechanisms. The other side is not going
to sit and say ok hit me.

Somebody help me out here. But I don't think patents are a U.S.
invention. Hence, it isn't fair to fling that mud on the U.S. Most
every country uses them.

A patent on life is not legally feasible because life has already been
created. You are using hyperbole. You are really talking about
patents on specific, man made (not naturally occurring)cultivars. And
it would be stupid to use a patent as a trade blocking mechanism. To
be profitable, one would need their patented product traded liberally
so as to reap liscensing revenue.

I'm guessing you think patenting living organisms is evil. Can
patenting medicines be much different. Yet it is an acceptable
practice in most of the world. There would be few new drugs developed
if patents weren't available to enable a reasonable return on
investment.

How about patenting words or music. Is that any less evil than
patenting a crop? Yet nearly every nation has copy right laws to
protect their authors,journalists and musicians.

Low interest loans? Can't argue that one. That has been used to
manipulate supplys and keep prices at the break even level for years.
It is probably more of a producer control issue than marketing
strategy on our government's part.