Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Pam Moore

Default Why have my carrots not come up?

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 00:05:11 +0100, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

No, not an old wives tale but based on fact. thinning them leaves the
ground disturbed and as the smell of the crushed plants attracts the
carrot fly they then find a way to the roots. watering after thinning
does help, as does a barrier round the row, often a wall of fleece about
2 ft high, the carrot fly goes over it, but can't drop down quick enough
to find the row. Carrot fly are not active late on, so again that works.
Growing French marigolds close also confuses the carrot fly as it gives
of a scent that masks the carrot smell.

I have just read in an old copy of The Garden that planting coriander
with carrots will deter carrot fly. The smell confuses as with the
marigolds I suppose.
Anyone tried it? I'm going to give the idea a try.

Pam in Bristol