Old 05-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Tim

Default Chilli recipe ?!

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 12:35:06 +0100, A.Malhotra wrote:

"John S. DeBoo" wrote:

NC wrote:

Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the

looks of
the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later

use -

Here's how we preserve chile in NM. Once plucked from the plant, place
the
chiles in some water for maybe 20-30 minutes. Then put them onto the
BBQ grill
until the skins are fairly black or darkened over most of the surface.
Remove
from the BBQ and cover with wet towels. After 10 min or so, take them
out from
the towels 1 by 1 and peel using thin plastic throw-away gloves. Remove
the
seeds.

Its always seemed perverse to me to go to all the trouble of growing hot
chillies then throwing the best bits away! Anita

The seeds are just hard. The seeds aren't hot. But I know what you mean.

It's the pith that they're attached to - that's the hot bit. It's just that
when most TV cooks say "remove the seeds", you see them scraping the whole
insides out. I bet you 90% of so-called expert cooks don't even realise
that the seeds aren't hot.
If you don't believe me, take some out, remove all flesh and carefully wash
and dry them, then eat a couple - compare that with the heat of the pith.
Tim.