Old 05-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Krnysgirl

Default Should I deadhead lupines?

Hi,

I have planted lupines (improved Russell hybrid) for the first time
this year - Zone 6 - Southern Connecticut. The mature plant I bought
at a local nursery is flowering beautifully - the first spike is now
fading (from the bottom up) and the second spike is beginning to open.
My question..should I remove the fading spike or let it go? If I
remove it - will it produce more flowers or is there only one or two
flowers per plant no matter what?

Also..what happens to the foliage after flowering..do they frizzle up
or will the foliage remain green and lush till frost?

I also planted 30 lupine seeds in peat pellets in mid march and 25 of
the 30 germinated and I have 25 very healthy, happy baby lupines I
have planted around the yard and given away to friends. I don't
expect that they will flower though till next year..is that correct?

Diane Krny