Old 05-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Alice Gless

Default Please can someone ID this rose (link to pic inside)

Thank you for copying out all that good info. I still like the rose but will
proceed with caution.

Henry wrote:

Cass wrote:
In article 3ff04e712c0d7fd411a85483bcc0fd43@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

be rosa multiflora, which is an invasive species rose in much of the
eastern and central US. Here is a link to the HelpMeFind page on rosa

I disagree on the invasive term. Its got a bad
rap from farmers who can't look after
their fields properly. While it does have a million
seeds fairly regular haying usually dealls with that problem.

Then you haven't been in Pennsylvania in the end of May. Everywhere you
look, you will see multiflora blooming: by the side of the expressway,
in every vacant lot, in everyone's back yard, next to every parking
lot. It is the epitomy of invasive there.

I have to agree (strongly) with Cass on this point. I decided to see
what people have written about R. multiflora in different books I have.
Both David Austin and Grahap Thomas had lots of good things to say
about it. Then I got to Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape
Plants." Dirr has a cassual style that I really like and his book is
quite a work (at nearly 1,200 pages).

Under the heading "Habit" he says, "A fountain with long, slender,
recurving branches; eventually forming an impenetrable tangle of brush
suitable only for burning." About its growth rate he says, "fast; too
fast for most farmers who have this species in their fields." His
description for "Culture" is, "Same as described under R. rugosa
although this species is more invasive; tolerates dry heavy soils very
well."

He goes on with an entry for "Landscape Value" of "None in the
residential landscape; has received a lot of attention for conservation
purposes; makes a good place for all the "critters" to hide, yet can be
a real nuisance for the birds deposit the seeds in fence rows and open
areas, and soon one has a jungle; use this species with the knowledge
that none of your gardening friends in the immediate vicinity will ever
speak to you again." Finally, he gives the folliwng "Additional Notes."
"Utilized as an understock for budding the highly domesticated
selections. Another species that appears resistant to black-spot and the
typical rose diseases. I cannot overemphasize the invasive and greedy
nature of this species. Have observed entire pastures/fields invaded and
captured by the plant."

I went out yesterday to the open area near my office and took a few
pictures of the roses there. I also found a pink flowering rose that
still looks a lot like multiflora. I've taken cuttings and am trying to
root them. Pictures and the text of what the three different authors
said about R. multiflora can be found he

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/20030604.php

On 5/31/2003 we had a beautiful sunny day and I've got pictures of the
first bloom on Pat Austin and the first three on Johann Strauss (a light
pink with a little fragrance).

--
Henry