Old 05-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Joe Doe

Default Will moth balls work with tomatoes?

In article om,
"Wayfarer" wrote:

Ok even a full bird feeder isn't working this year - at least well enough!
And I can not afford to spend the $10 a week on feeding them.

They are going after even the slightly orange tomatoes and it is such a huge
flock of White Winged Doves that have taken over I don't even get the
Blackbirds, Jays, Wrens, & Sparrows anymore.

Has anyone tried hanging those moth balls from the tomato cages? Does it
dissuade the birds? Does it affect (adversely) the tomatoes themselves?

Anyone else having a lot of trouble this year too?

--
Marta

The easiest solution is to enclose the fruiting truss in a nylon
stocking. The birds cannot peck through the stocking. This advice is
found on the aggie web site see answer 13 at:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...s/tomato.html.

I do nothing and have had minor to no loss of tomatoes (on one occasion I
saw a bird attack a tomato) but the birds clean me out on figs as I
mentioned in another thread.

Roland