Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Unique Too

Default black roses question

That's the color I'm looking for! Not only the color, but I love the form. No
wonder people wanted it.
HMF doesn't have any photos of this one, you should submit yours. Any rose
this beautiful should be shared. Maybe then others would fall in love and it
would be offered somewhere besides ARE.
Since I'm out of sunny space anyway I'll have to try a dark red in a semi-shady
location. Since both you and Mack agree, full sun must lighten dark roses. I
should have bought that Black Jade I saw the other day.

Cass writes:

My blackest rose is Thor. It is a rich red in summer, but when the
days get short (and the bloom gets really sparce, like in October) it
is really dark and 5 inches across:

http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg

People are wild for a really dark rose. I took it to Miriam Wilkin's
Celebration of Old Roses, and three people wanted it bad. One took one
of the two blooms to try to root. Now, with the long days, it is the
darkest cherry red.