Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Mark

Default midsummers day - definitive????

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news
In article , Mark
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Mark
writes
"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Your demonstration that it is a quarter day seems a lot more

convincing
to my mind than the other poster's demonstration that the summer
solstice is on Jun 21st and his assertion without proof that

midsummer
day must also be on jun 21st.

My assertion actually was that there is absolutely no reason

whatsoever
for
anything to be celebrated on the 24th June. Tradition is not a reason.

The
24th June has no real signifigance. At all.

Would you also apply that to the various religious festivals? After

all,
they have nothing other than tradition behind them.

Examples??? Please.

Christmas. No scientific evidence at all that it is the anniversary of
Christ's birth. Easter, Ascension Day. I won't go into other religions
but I suspect they have no more scientific basis.
--
Kay Easton

Yes, I agree entirely...no reason. But at least we know what each of those
is supposed to represent - Christ's birthday etc...what does 'midsummers
day' on 24th June actually represent? It isn't the middle of summer
(presumably that is the literal meaning of midsummer?), and it doesn't have
any physical signifigance.

My original point was that although 24th MAY have had such a signifigance,
before subsequent changes to the calendar.

Anyway before David gets even more upset (boo hoo, boo hoo)...conversation
closed!

Edward's earthworm page: