Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

Default HERONS/deer/small animals

"Heather" wrote in message
.. .
Hey Loretta,

You must have gotten the deer and racoons I scared away from my pond two

weeks ago with my Scarecrow!

Thanks a lot Heather - just what I needed. More of them I don't need!!
I keep my sprinkler on both day and night - days for the Herons and nights
for cats and raccoons. I now have a set pattern - when I go out the back I
turn off the tap (it's just outside my back door) and then turn off the
sensor. That way I don't get wet. Then turn it all back on when I go in
the house.

Some people suggest having two, with one at a 90 degree angle from the

other for better coverage.

Mine covers most of the pond as it shoots 35 ft. There is only a small spot
where the sprinkler is situated that isn't covered but they don't usually go
in that way. The second one is in the front protecting my roses from the
deer. So far, since installed, I haven't had any problems with animals. I
live about a mile away from the ocean and a Heron colony - so that's
probably why I get so many Herons. I must be on their flight path! They
see a good shushi bar down there. Only this restaurant is now closed! I
have to laugh at my cat - he now eyes all hoses with suspicion and
approaches with caution.

Loretta in Victoria