Old 03-03-2003, 11:15 AM
utphonejack

Default When To Plant Natives

Our home is surrounded with heavy clay - you could dig some up and make
pottery with it! About a year ago I planted a large range of grevilleas,
banksias and native grasses. I dug holes at least twice the size of the
plants root ball, filled the hole with potting mix and planted into that.
The plants grow very vigorously over 6mths or so, then slow down a little as
the roots grow to the clay. However, I haven't had a single fatality or sick
plant. Some grevilleas are now well over 2mtrs tall. There are a lot of
grevilleas (and some banksias) that tolerate clay and/or wet conditions very
well.

"Harry" wrote in message
When is the best time of the year to plant tube stock natives?
We intend to buy a couple of hundred Grevilia, Banksia, Callistermons etc.

Our property (Hunter Valley area) has concrete type clay with

rocks/pebbles.

Should I dig a larger hole (6") and put some good soil in to establish the
plants?

--
Harry