Old 05-06-2003, 11:44 PM
paghat

Default garden police gone wild?

In article , Diane
wrote:

A few years ago (and I may have posted it to this group), my new
neighbor decided he "knew" where the boundary line was and it was on my
driveway by a considerable distance. After many sleepless nights and
almost ending up in court, they got a survey done to discover that, wow,
*we* owned more of the strip between the properties than we thought.

So he put up a 6' fence (tallest fence you can do without a permit) on
the property line (and some a little over sigh) so he didn't have to
look at my bushes which I had cared for long before he moved in.

Took about 3 months for the bushes to grow above the fence. They are now
carefully trimmed at 2-3" above 6. Revenge can be sweet.

That worked out well, but it kind of bothers me that some neighbors regard
fences as unfriendly. I would kind of like to have the front gardens
enclosed as are the back gardens, but I'm on such good terms with my
neighbors, on two occasions people have indicated they expect I'll be
taking down the little picket fence eventually since we have no dog to
keep in. Very few people have fences at all in this neighborhood, & not a
one has a tall fence in the front. But then no one else has quite such
lush gardens either.

I saw a beautifully designed fence that was over six feet tall but had
huge round porthole windows to look in & out of. If I ever do put up an
enclosing fence I'll probably rig up something like that so no one
imagines I'm trying to shut them out. I just like the comfiness of
enclosed gardens. Yet so often one hears the "explanation" for a large
fence was a nasty neighbor on one side or the other of that fence.

A rustic unpainted wooden fence is such a nice thing to plant against &
have vines on. Going into one's garden through a gated arbor is just so
fun.

But alternatively i HAVE thought of taking down the picket fence, as it
would then be easier to weed from that side, plus I could have a row of
short perennials along what is now a picket fence line.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"