Old 06-06-2003, 12:20 AM
cpemma

Default Laying paving slabs around the pond

Hobbit wrote:
Hi everyone
I've just excavated a pond (about 12 by 7 feet), and have 3/4 filled
it with water ( a mixture of 'old' water from an established pond
with tap water, about 50/50).I though this way I would be able to
transfer the fish from the old pond quickly to the new (I've also
added tap water to the old pond to restore the water level).
My problem now is laying paving slabs on the exposed liner around the
edge of the pond. I've read several books and articles about pond
construction, and they all say, "lay edging slabs or pebbles or rocks
on a mortar base. Is it really just a case of putting a bed of mortar
about an inch thick directly on the liner, and putting the slab onto
the mortar? I've no idea how much mortar to make (I estimate the pond
has a circumference of about 35 linear feet)

I've no idea how much you'll need in total, but I'd suggest only making
enough at a time to do 6-8 slabs, as it goes off fairly quickly in hot
weather.

Its easier to level the slabs if you use a generous pile under each corner
and the centre of the slab, then point up the exposed edges afterwards. Try
not to get any in the pond, it's very strongly alkaline.