Old 06-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Gregory Young

Default Koi by Kierin

Hi Bonnie:
Carl has really great Koi doesn't he?
I spent some time with him last year when we did wetlab work. I also stood
behind a guy checking out that arrived in a Caddy, bought 3 large Koi, and
wrote out a check for $4800. He turned and looked at me (I think my mouth
had dropped open a bit), and said "I would have felt the same as you do now,
thinking a guy spending that kind of money was nuts, one year ago but now I
know his fish are worth every $$". Too rich for my taste, but doubtless some
of the most beautiful Koi I have seen (one was grand champ in Japan 2 years
earlier)
He got hit with KHV last season and had to completely sterilize everything.
I was afraid he would fold, but he didn't!
He does things the right way.
I don't know if you saw his isolation tank, if you did you know it's huge
(if not I can tell you it fills a whole room).
He employs a marine biologist full time who runs the isolation system. I
spent some time with him, and shared some war stories from my former marine
days.. nice kid, and really bright.
I wanted to go down and help Carl out with the wet lab they are having there
this weekend (MAKC), but work won't permit.
I do want to get their to get some good Koi. (for me that's $150 - 200 range
maximum, the little 3 - 4 inchers, with excellent bloodlines). Like a smart
gambler I have my limit on what I'll spend. The nice thing about the line of
Koi he carries is that they grow out true (color, shape, etc) assuming good
water conditions and quality feed. It's more enjoyable to get then young and
grown them to full potential anyway..
I am planning to stop there on the way back home from the Koi America show
this August. Are you going to make the Koi America show in Chantilly Va??
Later,
Greg

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Lee Brouillet wrote:
Bonnie, they're one of the "names" in quality imported koi. I've only

seen
the "4-and-5-figure-BEFORE-the-decimal-point" koi at shows: they're

truly
remarkable. Now when folks rant and rave about the Japanese quality

imports
versus the domestic "home growns", you'll know what they mean. A "tosai"
(2nd year koi) for $12,000 should have been pretty impressive. But if

you
really want "sticker shock", that's not a bad price: there are many that

are
far more expensive. The fish must have gone to a serious collector. The
first time I spend $85 for a little import, I freaked. Then I spent $250

for
a domestic butterfly that tripped my trigger. Then I spent $400 on a
Japanese imported Shiru Utsuri fresh out of quarantine from the fall

harvest
(my Christmas present to myself G). To me, these are *EXPENSIVE*

fish, so
you can understand why I get a bit neurotic about their care. But in the
world of koi, they're chump change (sigh). If *only* I could win the

Lottery
. . .

Lee

The most I have paid for a fish is $18. Then I quit buying.
I have since been educated more or less by the magazine Koi
USA. I have often seen Koi by Kierin advertised and have
visited their web site. I knew they weren't far away, at
least phyiscally, but they sure are money wise. Their fish
start at $50. Of course, as I entered I went to the $$$$$
fish first and worked my way around to the less impressive
but still very nice fish.
If I ever do win the lottery I'll certainly shop at Kierin,
after I construct a new pond!

--
Bonnie
NJ