Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Rachel

Default Flowers I can eat???

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On 5 Jun 2003 08:19:19 -0700,
(Christopher Hamel) wrote:

1) I am growing squash, and the blooms are giantic. My father tells
me they are very good to eat. I haven't tried it, but he's usually
right about these things. Then again, maybe he's trying to kill me.

They are edible. I believe people batter and deep-fry them
- and I'm sure they'd be good that way.

Yes! Marcella Hazan ("Classic Italian Cooking", etc.) advises: Put 1 cup of
water in a soup plate and gradually add 2/3 cup all-purpose flower through a
sieve, beating until smooth like sour cream. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet
3/4 inch deep [use a wok - less oil]. When oil is very hot, dip thin
zucchini slices as well as blossoms in the batter and slip them into the
oil. Don't crowd. Remove and drain on paper towels, after frying on both
sides until a golden crust has formed.... Out of this world! Except be
careful - once we did this and there was still a yellow jacket inside one of
the blossoms.