Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 AM
John Rutz

Default Koi by Kierin

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
Lee Brouillet wrote:

Bonnie, they're one of the "names" in quality imported koi. I've only
seen
the "4-and-5-figure-BEFORE-the-decimal-point" koi at shows: they're truly
remarkable. Now when folks rant and rave about the Japanese quality
imports
versus the domestic "home growns", you'll know what they mean. A "tosai"
(2nd year koi) for $12,000 should have been pretty impressive. But if you
really want "sticker shock", that's not a bad price: there are many
that are
far more expensive. The fish must have gone to a serious collector. The
first time I spend $85 for a little import, I freaked. Then I spent
$250 for
a domestic butterfly that tripped my trigger. Then I spent $400 on a
Japanese imported Shiru Utsuri fresh out of quarantine from the fall
harvest
(my Christmas present to myself G). To me, these are *EXPENSIVE*
fish, so
you can understand why I get a bit neurotic about their care. But in the
world of koi, they're chump change (sigh). If *only* I could win the
Lottery
. . .

Lee

The most I have paid for a fish is $18. Then I quit buying.
I have since been educated more or less by the magazine Koi USA. I have
often seen Koi by Kierin advertised and have visited their web site. I
knew they weren't far away, at least phyiscally, but they sure are money
wise. Their fish start at $50. Of course, as I entered I went to the
$$$$$
fish first and worked my way around to the less impressive but still
very nice fish.
If I ever do win the lottery I'll certainly shop at Kierin,
after I construct a new pond!

--

I know what it feels like to have a couple 30.00 Koi float I can just
imagine comming out and seeing one of those $$$$$$$$$ Koi floating on

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com