Old 06-06-2003, 03:32 AM
paghat

Default garden police gone wild?

In article , "Julia Green"
wrote:

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
If you honor your word there should be no shit to deal with. No

violations,
nothing to report, no action to be taken, no shit.

My point was that there are some people who really get off on this HOA
stuff--natural anal-retentive control freaks, I guess.

Thing is, there's ALWAYS something to report, if you have some "I'm the
cops" style loony neighbor with a bug up their butt looking hard enough.

There is no one on earth who never breaks a law or a zoning code or
ordinance or regulation. In most places it is illegal to spit on a
sidewalk. So if you barf up a mouthful of bile, by the law you must either
swallow it, or catch it in hour hands & stuff it back in your mouth, &
hold it in your mouth for the hour it takes you to get back home & spit in
the sink. If you actually cough that bile out of your mouth you're up for
a $500 fine & a month in jail. It's rarely ever enforced, but the laws are
there, waiting for someone to hate your guts & use it against you. Your
car parked 13 inches instead of 12 inches from a curb? It can be legally
towed, but only when your neighbor, that self-appointed copper who bares
some irrational grudge over something no one sane could even guess what
is, & who went out with a tape measure to find out it was thirteen inches,
calls to have you towed.

In many areas of Seattle all the benches were removed because teenagers or
homeless people sat on them. Then the city counsel passed an ordinance
making it illegal to sit on sidewalk or ground. Because it's only enforced
selectively against teenagers & bums, most people are glad both of the
appalling ordinance & of the selective (hence unconstitutional)
prosecution of those ordinances. By the letter of the law, someone having
an asthma attack, finding no benches left in sight, if they sit down on
the sidewalk in order not to die, they can be arrested. Probably won't be
-- unless they're badly dressed or a teenager -- but the possibility is
there. The laws are arranged so that we are each one of us randomly
vulnerable. And police abuse these laws all the time in order to pretend
they beat you unconscious for some reason other than you were black.
Neighborhood pretend-cops work on a lower but equally malicious level,
looking for regulations about gardens & parking & whatever to use against
the people they already hate.

In my neighborhood the streets are all posted for two hour parking, no
exceptions, no way for the locals to get a permit to park longer. The
signs are to keep nearby shipworkers from parking up here instead of in
their own pay parking lots, & the violations are never enforced unless
someone calls to have somebody towed or ticketed, so the locals are happy
of the law, it's not used against us. But if we started fighting with each
other, we COULD have sundry of our neighbors' cars towed from time to time
for parking in front of their own houses all day. Ordinances & regulations
are often badly written to apply in weird ways, so when enforcers find
themselves facing nervous breakdowns, they can misuse actual laws that
were intended for unrelated purposes, like keeping shipworkers from
parking here. This has never happened in my neighborhood yet, but I once
lived in a place where there was one crazy S.O.B. who kept reporting cars
all the time for parking in front of their own homes for more than two
days in a row. It was his hobby to get his neighbors' cars towed or
ticketed. The law was on his side, though the law had not originally been
intended to force people to park on alternative days on other peoples'
streets. His motivation was purely racist. He remembered when there were
no blacks & asians in that neighborhood, & he came to resent his property
being surrounded by them.

So when Vox thinks everyone should just live according to every
life-controlling ordinance passed by some loon, or badly written by
retarded politicians so it can be maliciouisly enforced by the
neighborhood loon, I do hope she does always swallow her own bile, because
that's what she's demanding others do under threat of prosecution. For it
remains that the majority of ordinances are just that stupid, churlish,
irrational, or vulgar. And there they are, those regulations, waiting for
the stupid churlish people to use against their betters.

Call the cops or fire department or whoever enforces the zoning codes &
street ordinances over failing to swallow your own bile, parking your
truck in front of your own garage, using leaves as mulch when some
ordinance clearly states leaves MUST be swept up & discarded, or getting a
"warning" or a fine for letting some grass or ivy creep out two inches
onto a sidewalk -- ordinances are apt exist banning all such behavior, &
not one person among us is not a criminal on this level if obedience to
such minute details & a million absurdly nitpicky laws MUST be adhered to
in order to not be copped by some maliciously power-hungry crazy-ass loon.

Another strange thing about my town, most of the larger homes have little
houses out back, relics of World War II when thousands of extra
shipbuilders came for the duration of the war. These remain as "mother in
law" mini-houses. None were built legally; none have ever been
grandfathered as legal in retrospect. Everyone knows ever garage cum
apartment & mini-house in the city is by the letter of the law completely
illegal. But it is a TRADITION going back to WWII to overlook these
illegal apartments & cabins. Mere tradition. At any moment someone in the
government COULD insist upon a major demolition project to tear them all
down as building code violations of seriously enormous proportions. I know
of one case of someone having to tear out an illegal apartment that had
existed since the 1940s -- because a disgruntled renter made the phone
calls to get a zoning law enforced that even the town authorities by
tradition would never on their own enforce.

There are just too many laws. The vast majority of these laws are
nonsensical, or selectively enforced, or not enforced at all, or enforced
at the wrong times for the wrong reasons, & overlooked by everyone
universally in the meantime.

At every minute of every day there is that possibility of some crazy-ass
power-mad worthless piece of shit proving themselves empowered to make
YOUR life miserable FORCING you to swallow your own bile, drumming up
everything they can against you, assisted by some dumbass town ordinance
or Racist Housing Association bylaw. Someone in this thread said "31
families can't be wrong." That was EXACTLY the thinking of the HUNDREDS of
families that harrassed an elderly Asian woman for ten years because their
Housing Association wanted whites only -- HUNDREDS of racists, THOUSAND
can't be wrong. And whether they hate your guts because you're a hunter &
they're not, or because you're black or asian or jewish or queer, it's all
the same thing -- & every bloody time they'll say it's because you didn't
park your car right, not because they're crazyass.

So yes, the people who police their neighbors over trivialities are
themselves invariably bugnuts. When you cave into their way of thinking,
you can police them just as nastily, & get THEIR car towed, and have THEM
visited by the fire department for having leaves in their garden, & force
THEM to swallow their own bile -- & so the escalations begin.

So why not just skip the escalating levels & go straight to the point of
the game. Just SHOOT the *******s & get it over with.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"