Old 06-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Larry Dighera

Default Difference in seed parent and pollen parent

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:34:46 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote:

John wrote:

Is there any different in an orchid if it's seed parent and pollen parent
are swapped with each other?

I must be in a responsive mood... Yes.

[snip cognizant reply]

Rob,

You are obviously considerably more knowledgeable and conversant on
the subject of orchid genetics than me. Would you happen to be
familiar with arcana of the inheritance of fragrance in orchids?

I am attempting to hybridize reed-stem Epidendrums. The target
phenotype is basically the typical reed-stem growth form, habit and
hardiness with the addition of (day/night) fragrance,
increased/inhanced flower size and form, and of course, new colors
(blue?).

Your example mentioned the female Epidendrums' iron-fisted dominance
of plant and flower morphology. While color seems to be determined by
both nuclear genetics and cyto ordinals, have you any idea of the
mechanism of inheritance of fragrance?