Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Carol Adams

Default Where to find day laborers in Austin?

I've held off on commenting on this thread because I've felt that my
sentiments would be unpopular. But, I must say that I find Mapanari's
references to "Meskins" and all of the commentary below (except Nell's)
offensive with respect to how these remarks denigrate Mexicans. If similar
comments were made denigrating women, African Americans, Asians, Russians,
Canadians, Presbyterians, etc., our society as a whole (individual and
special-interest-group exceptions excluded) would find them quite
unacceptable.

Flame me if you want to. I just felt that I had to protest the way some of
the participants in this list characterize people. Like it or not, illegal
Mexican workers in the US are a fact of life. And they are no less human
(perfect/imperfect) than you and I are. They just happen to have a much less
fortunate living situation than we do.

I also think that it's very convenient for us as individuals and for the US
economy in general that these workers are willing to do work that most of us
don't want to do, and to do it for a rate of pay that we would not even
consider. For example, would you want to work in a slaughterhouse? for
minimum wage? not reporting the accidental amputation of your right arm
because you had no medical coverage and were afraid of being deported?

In a related note, interestingly, very few of us don't eat meat.

My $0.02... thanks for listening.

carol

"JETman" wrote in message
Yep, just change the subject and avoid serious discussion. Another
liberal has struct and is now dispatched...

JT

animaux wrote:

What "spot" might that be? Oh, you mean the tax cut the igit just

signed?

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:32:19 GMT, JETman

wrote:

Why is it OUR responsibility to "raise" the levels of ********s like
Mexico to "be more like the US."

Irrational thinking like this is exactly what has put us in the spot
that we find ourselves.

Get a clue!

JT

Nell Reynolds wrote:

I am a conservative Republican, but I can see that the illegal aliens

who
come here work hard. Many of them send much of their paychecks home

families they can afford to visit only once a year, if that often.

They
come here because there is not even the opportunity to make $6 an

hour at
backbreaking work in Mexico. They live six or more to a cheap

apartment and
walk or take a bus wherever they want/need to go, because most of

them
cannot afford a car, even if they pool their money.
People who know the border situation say that we will stop the

illegal
immigration only when we raise the economy of Mexico closer to the

level of
the US.

Nell S

"JETman" wrote in message

Bill wrote:

"Spike" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Yeah and you will be paying illegals as well. A federal

offense I
believe even though our own police department is aiding and

abetting
them as well...

JT

Don't know which is worse them or the Yankees coming here!
Spike

Yes. Pretty soon the yankees will want to unionize them, and

raise our
taxes for their pension plans and more! For illegals!

I can assure you that THIS yankee might think of unionizing, but
certainly not for illegal immigrants.

What really ****es me off is that the TeeVee stations in all of

their
political correctness don't even call them ILLEGAL. And the cops

have a
policy of NOT questioning legal status of these workers... A

revoltin'
situation if in my not so humble opinion...

--
Regards,

JT (Residing in Austin, Texas)

Just Tooling Down The Internet Superhighway With my G4.......