Old 06-06-2003, 09:32 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Fennel - do you have to eat it young?

"Paul England" firstplatz @virgin.net wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a fennel plant that has seeded in a brick path, and has been

there
for several years.

Each year I mean to dig it up in the winter, then forget.

During the summer it is in totally the wrong place but I think I might

use
the leaves, or wait for the seeds (which I usually forget to gather).

So - is the root likely to be still edible?
If so, when can it be harvested?
Now, or at the end of the season when the foliage is dying back?

Cheers
Dave R

According to Dr.D.G.Hessayon's The Vegetable & Herb Expert - the feathery
leaves can be gathered in summer and used with fish, salads and soups.
For seeds, tie paper bag over flower heads and hang upside-down in

bunches.
Used with oily fish. HTH

Paul

Paul,
thanks - I wasn't clear in my original post.
I am asking about the bulb/whatever at the base of the plant that you braise
as a vegetable.
Cheers
Dave R