Old 06-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Kay Easton

Default midsummers day - definitive????

In article , Mark
writes

Yes, I agree entirely...no reason. But at least we know what each of those
is supposed to represent - Christ's birthday etc...what does 'midsummers
day' on 24th June actually represent? It isn't the middle of summer
(presumably that is the literal meaning of midsummer?), and it doesn't have
any physical signifigance.

Well, possibly middle of summer - seasons do seem to have been getting
later, in that we're now likely to get the worst of winter weather in
February. As the Christmas example suggests, there's no need for the
festival to be particularly near the right time!

But I thought the point that 25th is the latest sunset, coupled with the
earlier post showing midsummer day was 24th or 25th, was interesting.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: