Old 06-06-2003, 11:32 AM

Default Trendy gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
: The message
: from "K" contains these words:
:
: I love them all, but they certainly seem to be over hyped. I wonder if
: plants become trendy because of the hype.
:
: I suspect it's more calculated than that, decided in advance by market
: planners then presented to the public as the latest must-have, to
: increase sales.
:
: By the end of the Chelsea flower show, we were left in no doubt by the
: media that purple plants are the latest trendy thing. That weekend, B
: and Q announced they will stock a whole new range of purple plants for
: this season. Their summer range must surely have been decided by buyers
: and ordered from and propagated by growers, at least 6 months ago.
:
: Janet.
:
Yes, I heard them mention the 'P' word several times, and I watched only the
first couple of broadcasts. Sad, isn't it, but sadder still I suppose is
that so many are taken in by it and have to follow the trends. I know I am
anything but trendy as I like - dare I say it - p.i.n.k.s. (the flower, that
is). There, I've come out :O)