Old 04-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Pam

Default Myrtle Tree Underplantings

Crabby Barnacle wrote:

I have a huge 100 year old Myrtle tree. (NOT a crepe myrtle). It's the
kind of Myrtle that's also called a California Bay Laurel. I've heard it's
a big allelopathic (sp?). I'd like to do some underplanting and add some
low evergreen shrubs near it.

Does anybody have experience about companion planting with this tree?

OK, we have some common name confusion going on here - is the tree a California
bay (Umbellularia californica) or is it a true laurel or sweet bay (Laurus
nobilis)? The first has some allelopathic properties but nothing to the extent
of a black walnut and small evergreen shrubs should have no problem becoming
established. How much shade does it cast and how rooty is the soil in the area
you want to underplant - these factors will determine what will work. IME,
Umbellularia tends to be a bit of a moisture hog - looking for plants that
tolerate dry shade might be appropriate. It is more commonly seen as a large,
multi-trunked shrub with foliage down to the ground - would love to see a
mature, tree-like form. Assume that your tree is limbed up appropriately,
otherwise underplanting would be impossible.

pam - gardengal

Rain2Fall
From sunny Salem, Oregon