Old 06-06-2003, 12:08 PM
JETman

Default Where to find day laborers in Austin?

Carol Adams wrote:

I've held off on commenting on this thread because I've felt that my
sentiments would be unpopular. But, I must say that I find Mapanari's
references to "Meskins" and all of the commentary below (except Nell's)
offensive with respect to how these remarks denigrate Mexicans. If similar
comments were made denigrating women, African Americans, Asians, Russians,
Canadians, Presbyterians, etc., our society as a whole (individual and
special-interest-group exceptions excluded) would find them quite
unacceptable.

Flame me if you want to. I just felt that I had to protest the way some of
the participants in this list characterize people. Like it or not, illegal
Mexican workers in the US are a fact of life. And they are no less human
(perfect/imperfect) than you and I are. They just happen to have a much less
fortunate living situation than we do.

I also think that it's very convenient for us as individuals and for the US
economy in general that these workers are willing to do work that most of us
don't want to do, and to do it for a rate of pay that we would not even
consider. For example, would you want to work in a slaughterhouse? for
minimum wage? not reporting the accidental amputation of your right arm
because you had no medical coverage and were afraid of being deported?

In a related note, interestingly, very few of us don't eat meat.

My $0.02... thanks for listening.

carol

Ho hum.

Again the typical liberal antidote... Do Nothing!

Well honey, if you can't remove your blinders and seed the truth, may
you just enjoy basking in your ignorance. Or is it stupidity, another
commodity so familiar with liberals?

Every one of your propositions have been debunked more times than I care
to remember so " acceptance" of illegal activity is ok, eh?

--
Regards,

JT (Residing in Austin, Texas)

Just Tooling Down The Internet Superhighway With my G4.......