Old 06-06-2003, 02:32 PM
dave weil

Default Question about pruning roses

On 6 Jun 2003 02:05:42 -0500, (lms) wrote:

In article ,

says...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...ages/Flora.jpg

well there it is now. Cass, that's fairly obscene. No, it's really obscene.
I wouldn't want to attract that much attention, it's scary.

Weird - you revel over 12 foot

Try 17 foot, maybe.

Sorry - didn't mean to belittle your grand achievement.

lanky sparse looking Mr. Lincolns

I think you and your like-minded heroine belong together. You know, I don't
take kindly to people being too critical of a plant about which one gardener
from Chicago once told me, in a state of purest awe, 'Roses don't grow like
this in Illinois'. It was July and it had... ***leaves.

Awwww pumpkin, I'm sorry that I ticked you off. It's just that the
picture you posted didn't portray the plant in a very good light. IOW,
it looked pretty ugly. Sort of like a larger version of my Touch of
Class, which I find a pretty ugly plant, structure wise.

I had to cut at least 60 percent of this plant down just so I could walk
around it--I was having to walk to Dallas and then to El Paso and back just to
get around it. I tolerated its 12 foot horizontals and then multiple 10 foot
verticals off those for many many years. I've always considered it nothing
less than majestic,

That's because, for you, bigger seems better. Which is why I was
surprised that you didn't fall all over yourself over Cass' picture.
Oh wait, most of what you grow is sprawling and ungainly (to my eye
that is). There doesn't seem to be a place in your garden for a
well-shaped mass of blosso...ooops, I mean blooms. Of course, it's
hard to tell since most of the links to your roses on your website are
broken. Therefore, I have to rely on what you post here.

and almost every new person who's ever seen it has had some
kind of reaction. Recently the New Jersey unit's comments on this grope were
a case in point.
Being too critical of King Abraham is akin to talking to your Queen Mother
about gravity.

Weird. You go ballistic over a plant that *I* happen to like and only
because of its NAME. How weird is that?

And then of course my rain forest grew up, this has had some effect, but less
on this one than some others. I wouldn't trade my rain forest for all of
Portland, don't get me wrong.

but
you wouldn't want *this* plant - which has obviously grown to be what
it wants to be, which is a huge plant overloaded with blossoms?

'blossoms', I have always thought, is a very feminine term.
I don't have blossoms. bcd uses this term all the time, makes me cringe every
time I hear it. How do these things happen?

Maybe you need to embrace your feminine side.

BTW, whether you like it or not, you've got blossoms. Look it up. And
your not-so-subtle reference to my sexuality is noted. But I'm man
enough to just laugh it off.

Well, different strokes I suppose...

Weil, a properly grown Mr. Lincoln ain't for everyone, agreed. I guess I have
to spell it out, how firmly was my tongue planted in my cheek?
Is that enough of a hint?

When was your tongue planted in your cheek - the way you describe Mr.
Lincoln?

I guess I've ticked you off since you're using my name in a pretty
disrespectful manner. Of course, that seems to be the way of most word
bullies. They can dish it out but they can't take it. Sorry about
that.