Old 06-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Stefan Trcek

Default zone 6 screen

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:34:03 GMT, Bob Hardy wrote:

The only reason I thought of dividing the barrier is that I am concerned
that the more dominant bamboo will crowd out the less dominant bamboo, and
after a few years, I will have one variety. I do a lot of gardening but I
have no bamboo experience, so I could be entirely wrong about my concern.

Both runners are dominant, they will mix up. It is your choice to cut
new shoots of one variety if you can distinguisch them. Or you
separate them by a 30cm deep trench, fill in straw and cut the running
over rhizomes with a knob cutter during summer. So you can keep them
separated.

As of Ph.aureosulcata: This is a very upright bamboo and keeps upright
in comparingly strong winds. The culms of the aureocaulis (yellow) or
spectabilis (yellow with green sulcus) type are a nice contrast to the
green leaves.

Stefan