Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Kay Easton

Default Rain rather than host waterings

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
Is it not simply because when we water using hose, we tend to do it far
too quickly, such that the total amount of water is far less than a good
old rain shower?

Philippe

A rain gauge is a useful addition to the range of garden equipment. It can
be very difficult to guess how much rain has fallen in a particular shower.
Even a thunderstorm with torrents of water coming down may only deposit a
millimetre or two. Also when it rains overnight, the ground may look wet
through but the gauge can tell the true story. Other mornings the ground may
just "look" damp but half an inch or more of rain could have fallen steadily
overnight.

Also good for establishing just how much water you have given by hose -
it may be less than you think.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: