Old 06-06-2003, 05:56 PM
MLEBLANCA

Default Heatwave Help

In article , GardeningGuy
writes:

Do you guys have any advice in helping my garden to withstand heatwaves?
We are having 3 days of 100+ degrees F. The flowers on my peppers are
drying and falling. tomatoes seem fine. Cucumbers look good. muskmelon
are getting dry. I try to keep them well watered but am sure not to over
do it. Is there anything else I should do?

GardeningGuy

Temps 100+ here regularly.

1. Water deeply and every few days. You can't start this right in the middle of
a heat wave, obviously, but start when you first plant. My garden can go
for 3-5 days bewteen waterings. Do not water every day; this promotes
shallow roots.

2. Check when plants wilt check to see if the soil is still damp/wet. When the
root
system is not large enough to supply all the water a plant needs, the plant
will wilt as a defense. If the soil is still wet, do not add more water, as
this
promotes root rot. Shade the plant temporarily instead.

3. Mulch, mulch, mulch, (as others have said)

Emilie
NorCal Sacramento Valley